Senior Advisor, New Business Proposals and Implementations
The National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA), with offices in Arlington, VA and Lincoln, NE is the trade association for over 900 consumer-owned electric cooperatives serving more than 42 million people. NRECA is committed to harnessing the strength of Americas electric cooperatives into a single powerful voice. NRECA has won the following awards over the past few years:
- Top Workplace by the Washington Post
- 100 Best Places to Work - ComputerWorld Magazine
- 50 Best Places to Work - The Washingtonian
- CARE Award Recipient - Recognizing organizations that promote a positive work-life balance
- 50 Greatest places to Work - AARP
- Best Place to Work Award Recipient - Lincoln, NE
- Gold Well Workplace - Wellness Councils of America
- State of NE Governor's Wellness Award - Grower Level
At NRECA, we work with people who are leaders in their fields. They are down-to-earth, hardworking professionals committed to helping our members serve their communities. Our work is interesting, constantly evolving, and requires new skills to meet the evolving needs of a dynamic industry. In this collegial, inclusive work environment, united around the compelling purpose and history of electric cooperatives, we thrive. And topping it off, NRECA cares about each persons overall well-being, encouraging health, financial security, and a sustainable work/life balance. EEO/AA- M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status/Genetic Data
Senior Advisor, New Business Proposals and Implementations-P4
The Senior Advisor is responsible for developing and delivering professional proposal responses to our members relative to NRECAs insurance and financial service products. This person also serves as project lead throughout the new business implementation process. This entails leading a multi-faceted team in the timely and accurate delivery of services, plans and products. This person also supports the development and retention of current business by providing guidance and support on significant benefit and plan changes. The ideal candidate will have at least five years experience with a major insurance or financial services provider, broker or consultant, preferably in a role developing proposals or serving as account manager. Key areas of competency include collaboration and communication.
Purpose and Mission
1. Support I&FS business development efforts.
a) Serve as primary point of contact for field staff and cooperative throughout the proposal process.
b) Coordinate and assimilate key information relative to NRECAs employee benefit products.
c) Develop and deliver formal proposal responses to cooperative management and/or third party consultants in order to execute the formal pursuit of new business opportunities.
d) Serve as project lead throughout the new business implementation process.
e) Work with Field Staff and I&FS management to develop strategies and identify opportunities and challenges relative to business development.
2. Support I&FS efforts to maintain current business.
a) Provide technical guidance on benefit changes and pricing/funding models to cooperatives with existing business.
b) Support the distribution and communication of annual renewal information to cooperatives with existing products.
c) Facilitate requests for rate tier changes and co-op splits and mergers.
3. Support business growth and development through analysis of the group insurance market and competition.
a) Collect and analyze market and competitive intelligence to provide guidance to marketing and program development.
b) Gather, evaluate, and report market intelligence gained throughout the proposal and renewal processes.
c) Assist in the identification of possible strengths and vulnerabilities of the competition within designated regions.
d) Work with internal management and external consultants to evaluate and compare the professionalism and effectiveness of NRECA proposal responses to our competitors in the marketplace.
4. Maintain current knowledge of industry trends by routinely reading and studying industry publications and electronic communications, and attending industry conferences and seminars to build and maintain knowledge and expertise relative to retirement and group products.
5. Provide excellent customer service for employees/internal customers and those individuals outside NRECA such as cooperative members, vendors, etc. (100% of the time throughout all job activities)
a) Conduct business in a way that will improve customers perceptions of NRECA.
b) Be sensitive to customers needs.
c) Maintain a client focused, professional, and pro-active approach to the job.
6. Maintain proper security and disposal of any confidential information that is possessed in the course of performing this position's job duties, in accordance with NRECAs Personnel & Administrative Policy and HIPAA Privacy and Security Policies & Procedures Manuals. (100% of the time throughout all job activities).
7. Responsible for the proper security and disposal of any confidential information that he or she may possess in the course of performing this positions job duties, in accordance with NRECAs Personnel & Administrative Policy and HIPAA Privacy and Security Policies & Procedures Manuals.
Requirements and Qualifications
5+ years experience with a major group insurance provider, broker or consultant, preferably in a role developing/managing proposals or serving as Account/Service Manager
- Advanced knowledge of the medical and group insurance industry, products and plan designs
- Ability to understand and articulate factors that influence rates and product pricing
- Strong background understanding and articulating premium funding arrangements
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills
- Ability to use Microsoft Office to develop spreadsheet analyses (Excel), formal presentations (Powerpoint) and professional documents (Word)
- Willingness to travel occasionally
- CEBS designation and/or Health and Life insurance licenses a plus